PitaPata Cat tickers

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Kitty Journal 3 - PVC DIY Cage

Ahh...... the night before, Sherbet sprayed me. It was surprising (especially since this was my first experience).. Some people might find it kinda gross.. but it doesn't bother me. Luckily enough, his spraying didn't smell. It made me think about neutering him quickly and getting a cage.

After much browsing, it seems buying a metal cage is more costly. So, I decided to make my own cage. I got the ideas from some forumers in Petfinders (Pakcu and NamakuAriff) on making my own cat cage. I have always been good at imagining things, basic planning and simple structural drawing. I got this idea to make a simple 3' x 2' x 2' cat cage.

I sketch out the cage, gauging the length, how many pvc pipes needed and the connectors needed. We went to the hardware store and gauge the price. I estimated around RM 80-90. So, I made up my mind and bought the materials. It wasn't easy holding 5x3' pipes, 16 x 2' pipes, 6 x 1.5' pipes and 4x1' pipes with 5' of metal mesh. Phew.. my hand looks like waffle when I arrived home.

Bf and I put together the pipes and connector, then put them together using masking tape to see how it fits. We had alot of trial and error... I forgot to calculate in the connectors and how they increase the length of the cage frame by 1" per connector. So we had to measure the pipes and cut them again.


Testing out the how the frames fit together

The hard part for me was adjusting the metal mesh, it was a cheap one and some of the edges tend to break off. So I had to take some time and twist the extra end of the wire mesh so that it won't sort of "unravel". Next, we glue the pvc pipe together to create 6 rectangle frames (including the door). This was abit tricky since some of the 90° connector was really tight. After alot of banging, struggling, tweaking and assembling.. the cage is finished. Took around 4-5 hours but I am proud.. not too shabby for a first timer.


Just finished the cat cage.. messy messy workplace



Sherbet, modelling inside the cat cage in the kitty room.

Next on agenda is getting Sherbet to a vet for neutering.

No comments:

Post a Comment


PitaPata Cat tickers

Memorial

Memorial

Sherbet's Cute Mew

Click Play to listen!
PitaPata Cat tickers