PitaPata Cat tickers

Monday, March 23, 2009

Christmas and day 1

It was Christmas and my family came over to visit as usual. My parent came over to my apartment a few times a year to visit my sister and I. We would go shopping, have dining experience (which is mostly consists of eating at food courts ^_^ ).

I have always loved looking at cats, wanting to hug and cuddle them but I don't have the courage. I loved cats since I was small, used to pick any strays I found and drag em home.. have em make a mess at home and get scolded by mom, or sometimes my mom throws them out (she doesn't like cats) or they run away by themselves. I guess, in a way, I was probably scared to hold them because I was too scared I won't be able to let them go.. but had to because my mom hates them.

Once in a while, I would open SPCA websites and stare at picture of cats, ogling over their beautiful eye and fur. Hoping some day I could hold them and have them follow me around, and have fun with them. This Christmas for some reason, I was thinking a lot about adopting a cat and my sister encourage me to adopt a cat too. I decided to be serious and asked my mom for permission. She gave her blessing but I know she has her doubt. I've been known to change hobbies now and then and to my family, this is probably another phase in my life. I want to prove them wrong, I want a companion and I will try my best!

On the 28th December, I went to SPCA with my bf and sister. It was 3pm and the shelter will close at 4pm, I walked anxiously and wondered if they will let me adopt a kitten. I have no prior cat experience, the pet I had were fishes (that I seriously took care of). Although my sister used to have hamster, I don't really like them. They smell and they bit me once. The SPCA was noisy, I hear dogs barking and a few people was moving things around into a lorry. Seems they had some kind of garage sale earlier. We went through the small gate and saw a 3 tier cat cage with lots of cats and kittens. I looked around and at first glance we liked this female cat, she looks like a normal Domestic Short Hair, nothing impressive but she was very affectionate, purring as we stuck our fingers into the cage and pet her. I would love to take her home but she has not been spayed and SPCA rep said that she has to be spayed before they will let me adopt her. Maybe I could come the next day after a spaying, they say. I was crestfallen, I have no other way of bringing that cat the next day, because my parent is going back the next day and I have no other vehicle except a small motorbike. I can't imagine bringing back a spayed, new cat on a motorbike, for a journey of over 20minutes. She would cry all the way and be in pain. Another fact was my mom had said that if I want to adopt, get a nice cat, a medium or long haired. Getting a short hair would make her angry. So I talked over to bf and sister and we looked for other kittens. Seems getting a male kitten would be easier.

I saw this male kitten, sitting leisurely on a platform, with another kitten licking his furs. Looks like he's enjoying his free grooming service, I thought to myself. He was slim, but he is a Domestic Medium Hair and he looks cute. He totally ignored us when we stuck our fingers to pet him and I thought, hmm, he's probably a very well behaved kitten. His tails were a bit crooked but that doesn't bother me. The clock was ticking and SPCA rep was in a hurry, I take another look at this golden ginger kitten and decided, yeah, he's the one. We went to the office, paid the adoption fee, bought a carrier and got myself a kitten. He was very quiet in the car, I was worried he's mute, sick or scared. We stopped to buy cat food and went back to my place.
He didn't make alot of noises, and from what i read, new cats or kittens would need 1 day of confinement to adjust with the new environment. He slept most of the day, and I leave him in his carrier. Cleaned the paper lining when he pooped and fed him. Since my family is still around, I don't think I could let him roam the house, my mom especially, would jump in surprise. So far, nothing different, I think to myself. I have a cat, and he's harmless and so well behaved. I slept happily, knowing I had my first furry companion.


No comments:

Post a Comment


PitaPata Cat tickers

Memorial

Memorial

Sherbet's Cute Mew

Click Play to listen!
PitaPata Cat tickers