PitaPata Cat tickers

Monday, March 23, 2009

Furkid number two, the black screaming banshee


It was a nice Friday night in February, as usual, I went out to buy groceries with bf and on the my way back, saw a small black kitten mewing loudly near the elevator. Poor kitten must be starving, I thought. I told my bf, I liked that black cats, they're interesting. My bf just smile, looked at the kitten. We talked about the kitten, and thought, it looks clean, must be someone's kitten. So I went back to my apartment and bf left to his own place. But I can't keep my mind off the kitten, if it belongs to someone, why would anyone let a small kitten, barely able to run, roaming around without supervision? I looked out the window but couldn't see or hear the kitten. I guess his owner must hv picked him up.

As usual, I spend my days sitting in front of the computer or playing around with Sherbet. Deep in my heart, I wish I could hv a black kitten, it would look awesome. Black, shiny fur.. another friend for Sherbet.. but having another kitten means more responsibility and more mouth to feed. But a black cat! I said to myself, drooling over the idea of having another beautiful cat to cuddle. Time pass by and at midnight, I heard the kitten again. I called my bf and asked him if he could pick up the kitten for me, I'm too scared to scour the block alone to look for the kitten. He told me to look out for the kitten and confirm with him. As we talked on the phone, I saw some girl pass by and took the kitten with them. Damn, I said. Someone took the kitten, oh well, at least it will not starve on the streets. I closed the window and slept.

Saturday morning I woke up early for no reason and again, I heard the loud mewing of the kitten. How can this be? I saw the girls pick him up and walked across the playground into the next block. I scramble for my binoculars ( was a cheap russion made ) and scour the playground. There, on the steps of the next block, I saw the black kitten walking and mewing loudly. I called my bf over and we watched for awhile. Maybe the kitten is calling his mother? Maybe his owner? We waited for 30minutes and nothing. I saw the kitten following a jogger and told bf to go pick the kitten up. I was worried it followed someone onto the road and get ran over. A few minutes later bf came back with a smelly, black kitten with faeces still attached to his bottom. I picked up the kitten, wiped it's bottom clean and wiped his body. Bf said he found the kitten in the garbage room. I looked carefully at the kitten, he was skinny, full of lice and smells nasty. It was definitely a stray, so I told bf I'm going to take this kitten and hope he can be Sherbet's playmate. I didn't have any cage, so I just put him under a huge laundry basket and made a small litterbox for him. Gave him some tuna and water to drink. He was mewing loudly, the poor thing. I guess he was afraid or maybe crying for his mother. I went to petshop with bf and bought pet milk and pet bottle. He didn't like the bottle, so I put it on a bowl and he lick it. But he would still scream like a banshee.
I google and found out he's probably missing his mother. But it can't be helped, we never saw any mother cats or any kitten his age nearby. So I just bear with the loud mewing and kept him under the laundry basket the whole day. Sherbet didn't like the new kitten, kept hissing and had his hair stand up whenever he comes near the laundry basket.
I was somewhat regretting I picked up this kitten, he screamed like a banshee and Sherbet hates him. But suprisingly, he adapt well to his surroundings. He used the litter box I made for him easily. This is a test for me, and I endured. I let him roam the house the next day and he wasn't as curious as Sherbet. But what I saw was, he liked to follow Sherbet around. Sherbet still hissed and slaps him now and then but I had to make them live together harmoniously. I let them eat together as advised by a forumer in Petfinders and observed. Everytime Sherbet got too rowdy, I would scold him and break them apart. The difference in size is too much. But I was happy, by the third day, Sherbet accepted the black cat into the household. I named the black cat Salem, like the black cat in Sabrina, the teenage witch and also from the movie Salem's Lot. They would play together, chasing and wrestling but I worried, Salem is 1/3 Sherbet's size and Sherbet is known to play rough. The moment I was afraid of came on the weekend when I went into a room to change and let the kitten play on their own. Salem mewed loud suddenly and I rushed out to see. I saw one of his leg went limp and my heart stopped. I picked him up and cried. He was so small and skinny, what if the limp is permanent? What if he can't use his hindleg anymore?? I called my bf over and cried on the phone. He came and looked at the kitten, prodding and touching the hindleg. Everytime we touch the thigh, Salem would cry. We were desperate, it was the weekend and the vet we went to is closed. I took a chance and used traditional remedy on Salem. We massaged his leg with gamat oil slowly. Salem mewed and even the quiet Sherbet was mewing by our feet. I guess Sherbet was worried and probably saying sorry for the incident. The whole night we massage his hindleg with the oil slowly, worried he couldn't move or use it. When bf left, I took extra measures and watch both kitten carefully. I walk around the house with a water spray bottle in my hand. Everytime Sherbet tries to come near Salem I would squirt him. I felt sorry for both kitten. Sorry for Sherbet because I had to make him stay away from Salem and sorry for Salem because I didn't pay enough attention. The next day I was lucky, Salem can use his hindleg. He could run but the thigh was still tender to touch. Just one more day to hold on before going to the vet. Monday came and we went to the vet, his hindleg was swollen but it wasn't too bad. Vet gave some anti-flammation pills and I was thankful that Salem's hindleg weren't badly injured. I still watch the kittens playing but I saw that Sherbet has managed to control his power when playing with his little brother. I was also happy to see Sherbet helped to groom the little guy. I read up orphaned kittens usually have trouble grooming and I'm glad Sherbet is helping. What I can't help much is the nipple sucking. I laughed when I saw Salem searching for Sherbet's nipple and get slapped aside. It probably hurt Sherbet's pride and dignity to have a male kitten pawing at his manboobs. So, the next best thing is my T-shirt or my bf's T-shirt. Salem would crawl or jump on out lap and suck our T-shirt till it's wet. I asked the vet about it and she said it would stop at 2 1/2 months or 3 month old. I hope so because Salem has this annoying of climbing onto my bf or my lap with his claw out, scrathing our legs. If we deny him of his T-shirt sucking, he would sit and stare at any of us and mew really loud. Salem the black banshee I call him sometimes. He cries when he's he wants to eat or use his toilet (when he was younger) even though he knows where it it. Now he cries when he's bored or wants to suck on T-shirt. Such a drama queen.. I mean King..
Gee, Salem.. I should have named you Screaming Banshee I guess... *laugh*

No comments:

Post a Comment


PitaPata Cat tickers

Memorial

Memorial

Sherbet's Cute Mew

Click Play to listen!
PitaPata Cat tickers