PitaPata Cat tickers

Friday, April 17, 2009

Kitty Journal 10 - Neko-chan & The Mines MCC Cat Show

I haven't post anything the last few days.. I was busy checking on Neko-chan.. Poor girl was so sick..

I went to the vet on Tuesday to get Neko-chan her vaccination and deworming. Unfortunately, she was running a fever and was denied both. I told the doctor she has been suffering from diarrhea and soft poo, so the doctor gave her 2 injections, told us he'd give antibiotic tablets and liquid medication for the diarrhea. We gave our thanks to the good doctor and settled the bills, went back home.

To my chagrin, Neko-chan's situation got worse.... her stool was so watery, eventually mucus came out.. I was worried, but I decided to wait and see if the medication would help lessen the situation. As day became night.. she was still suffering from diarrhea. I wondered that maybe it will take the meds a few days to cure the diarrhea. As time goes by, she got worse, really watery stool and I spend the time wiping the floor of her cage.... It was worrying, and she looked weak. Her stool has even lost the smell and form of normal cat stool, and it smells bloody. I decided to take her to the vet again today.

I woke up early and gave the vet a call to see if they're open and lucky enough, they're open. I got ready, put Neko-chan in the carrier and took her to the vet for the second time in the week. I was really worried.. Sherbet had had diarrhea before, but never this severe. We went in to see the vet and I told the vet what happened, even brought a sample of her stool. The vet says she probably got a case of viral infection and needed IV drip coz she was dehydrated. I smile, and told the doctor to be careful becoz Neko-chan is much more fierce compared to my two boys. She was growling when the doctor put in the needle and was in pain. Normal I reckon, IV drip is somewhat painful. I tried to hold her but she was moving too much it fell off... *sweat* .. the doctor said it was okay, enough liquid went into her body to ensure she's hydrated. Then the doctor gave her 2 injection, that was quite hard. By now, Neko-chan knows the stranger does something painful on her. She was growling and went quite feral it made the doctor jumped. Luckily nobody was scratched.. *laugh* and the good news is Neko-chan got treated. I asked the doctor about the antibiotics the gave me before and told me to stop the said antibiotics and they will give a new one. I said my thanks and went out of the consultation to settle the bills and take the medicine.
Arrived home 10minutes later and put Neko-chan back into her cage. I monitor her stool, the frequency of her diarrhea and found that it has improved a lot. There was less stool outside the litterbox and the consistency of the stool is much more better. I can see the digested food from her stool and no more mucous. She can eat and drink, although seem a bit lethargy, it is understandable. Even human would feel so weak with such a disease, imagine a small kitten.

Today is Monday, 3 days after the last I went to the vet and Neko-chan has improved a lot. Her diarrhea has reduced massively and her appetite has improved a lot. She was more affectionate, started to play around on her own or with me more and no more stool outside litterbox. With each passing day, I can feel she is less in pain. Her stomach was tender the first day, but by today she has no trouble with me holding and rubbing her stomach. Everyday I would take some time and let her out of her cage and roam the room. I can't let her play around with my two boys since she and Salem aren't neutered yet. I don't want to have births in my home, not ready and don't even want to breed cat. Too many strays roaming around my area makes me sad. Made me wonder how many kittens actually survived..

Yesterday I went to see a catshow hosted by the Malaysia Cat Club at the MINES Shopping Complex in Seri Kembangan with my bf. We went at 11.30am and toured the display. So many beautiful cats catches my eyes. I saw a familiar face from Petfinders but didn't have the courage to walk up and say hi. I wasn't that familiar with the person anyway, would be embarrassed if I walk up and says hi but the person would not even know me.. hehe.. I am a shy person anyway (roll eyes). I saw a sphinx, beautiful in it's own but I find it odd to see a fur-less cat. I saw a few Maine Coons, some Persians, Exotics but then again.. they could all be Domestic Long Hair, Domestic Semi-Long Hair or Domestic Short Hair for all I know.. (laugh). Still, they were all beautiful. Some were really huge .. I even commented they are like the St. Bernard of cats and some were petite. I hang out quite some time at Argo, a cat owned by Pakcu, a Petfinders member, at the catshow. I recognize him from the picture posted in forum and called his name from outside the cage. He was so affectionate, rolling over in the cage (I assume expecting a belly rub) and rubbing his face and body on the cage. Ohh, how adorable and cute.
Although it was a nice catshow and alot of people came, I was somewhat frowning at the visitors that came to the show. A lot of them poked their fingers in the cage, from one cat to another, some poked in straws, paper and even tissue into the cage. There is a lot of education needed to educate people on the danger of simply stroking one cat and another. The risk of transmitting disease, their oily fingers would rub off oil onto the shiny coat of the cat, and it also made the cats more scared. I fumed secretly inside, I am neither an owner of the cats there nor the committee. So I just stared at these people and wonder if they even listened half ear to the announcement the catshow committee has been saying. My bf pointed out it's human nature to want to touch something beautiful. True, but it is wrong. People should know that all the cats are part of family of the owner, would you be comfortable with strangers poking and stroking your child? I resisted the urge to touch any of the cats there after I read the complaint of a fellow catshow enthusiast. There is a lot of education needed to educate malaysians on the proper behaviour at catshows, or any exhibitions in my opinion. Probably the next time a catshow is held, a restriction walkway have to be created a meter away from the cages so that people won't poke their fingers in. I even saw a guy trying to get a picture of a cat by shoving his mobile inside the cage. Too bad the cat was too well behaved. I wish the cat was like my boys at home, swiped the mobile phone and push it down to the floor from the side of the cage (evil grin). I saw a kid got swiped on the face by a cute kitten. Serves the kids right (I laughed and said to my bf). Parent should educate their children how to behave in public and not poke a finger inside a cage (or your face in front of the cat's..haha ). I later found out the cat belonged to another member of Petfinders, EJ and the cat's name is Ray. Found out the cat has been rather grouchy the past few days, he even swiped the judge (laugh). I guess some guys have bad days (smile). Then again, if I were those cat, I would be grouchy too. It was noisy, strangers poking their head and fingers at me, it smells weird, I can smell so many different cat scent in the air.. I would be a terrified cat or a grouchy one, I tell you.
It was a nice experience for cat owners to put their cats in a catshow. Other than showing off your beautiful cats, you get to meet new people, make friends other cat lovers and get experience how to handle your cat during a catshow. I would probably love to join a catshow, but not till I can handle my cats properly. One is a "easily-terrified" kitten, one is a screaming banshee, and another is still sick and not to mention very grouchy. I can imagine Sherbet mewing frightened (or huddled in a corner shivering), Salem would probably mew from the top of his lung like he was destined for the gallows and Neko-chan would probably swipe and growl at every person that tried to peer into her cage(laugh). I bought some rubber mice for my kittens and a bag of clumping cat litter to test how good it is. I heard from some friends that Katty Cat clumping sand is very good and cheap at some places, so I decided to try. Better to try small amount before I buy a huge bag.
Next in my agenda is Salem's second vaccine and next week, if Neko-chan is healthy enough, it's her turn to get a vaccine. So many things to do everyday, life could never be boring. Never regret the decision I made to adopt a kitten, look where it got me now.. I feel happy everyday, I have plenty of exercise (scooping litterbox is serious business, I practically went into Master Archaeologist mode) and I get to have unconditional love and affection everyday. What else would a girl want? *Smile*

No comments:

Post a Comment


PitaPata Cat tickers

Memorial

Memorial

Sherbet's Cute Mew

Click Play to listen!
PitaPata Cat tickers