PitaPata Cat tickers

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Kitty Journal 7 - Salem's Vaccine, The Sick Cat & The Smoky Stray

Salem had his first vaccine yesterday, and he looks okay. When my kittens get their first vaccine, I breathe a sigh of relief.. this means their chance of survival is upped and I won't worry as much.. Salem reacts differently to the vaccine though.. last time, when Sherbet got his first vaccine, he slept all the way home. Salem, as usual, screams loudly all the way. Guess that's a way to know my black banshee here is healthy.. *laughed*.

At the vet, we saw a lady holding a huge cat, wrapped in a sarong. The cat looks beautiful, white with black spots. As we smiled at her, she told us her cat has blood in pee problem and the bloody smell was too much. As she walked by, we can smell the urine and I thought this cat have a serious problem. There was alot of people at the vet and Salem, the little banshee was really restless. He was probably looking for Sherbet, and uncomfortable with crowd and the smell of other cats and the dogs. After waiting for almost an hour, our number were called into the consultation room. Lo and behold, the white cat earlier was on the table in the same consultation room, sedated. It's huge eye were wide and unblinking, sending shivers down my spine. I looked and saw a small pool of blood in a metal bowl on the table, his pee wets the thick paper lining the table and the doctor was checking his fur. I guessed the cat had flea or mite problem and I was right, as I saw the doctor put on Frontline on it's neck. As the doc put the cat on IV drip, I asked "what was the problem?" and she said "The cat's can't pee, too much eating low quality cat food and nothing else". I was shocked, the doctor named some brands and I gave my kittens those brand back when I just started having cats at my home. From the conversation we had earlier with the cat's owner, the cat is 3 years old and been eating the said cat food for the duration. It was horrifying, for a cat to eat the cat food for 3 years and get THAT sick. Imagine if he ates em longer.. (cat have been said to live for 15 years). I thanks my friends in Petfinders for pointing me at the right direction in cat nutrition. Imagine how much it costs to cure ur beloved cats, just because you skimp on their food. Prevention, is always better than cure...

Today, I went to shop for a water bottle for pets and was surprised when the salesperson said it is unsuitable for cats to use the water bottle. I decided not to buy it and caught my attention on a carrier. I need a sturdy carrier and something smaller than what I had with me at home. We found a nice, yellow carrier, sturdy for quite a bargain, in my opinion. Bought some wetfood for furkids at home and came home for awhile, to send the items I've bought and quickly went to the hypermarket to buy some groceries.

I saw a kitten, sitting on the old table near the elevator. Ah, I've remembered my bf talking about it, how beautiful the color of the kitten, how friendly. It followed my bf to my house one day but we can't let it in because my 2 kittens are quite fierce to newcomers and I'm afraid the stray might have some disease. I looked closely and saw that it is very beautiful, looked closely at it's behind and saw that it's female. How beautiful, I thought to myself. I comtemplate about her as I went to the hypermarket. How I would love another kitten, a female.. but alas, I can't afford one. Having another kitten would mean I have to buy another litterbox and another bag of cat littersand. I am already stretching my money as it is. I also have 2 male kittens not yet neutered, aged 6 and 3 months old. One is due for a neuter soon, and I'm stretched out financially. I could never bring in a female kitten. I feel sad, helpless, here is a beautiful, tame kitten but there's nothing I can do about it. Times like this I wish I have the money to help it.. get it cleaned, healthy and maybe put up for adoption or keep it all for myself. Somewhere along the way, I find that I love cats. They weren't merely companions, they are my family, my heart and soul. If I could have my way, I want to save them all.
I came back from shopping and watched the kitten with sad eye, I can't help her as I helped my 2 boys. I hope, with all my might that she will be healthy and still be around everyday. I asked bf to give her some catfood so she won't starve. I really hope, she won't get pregnant soon and have more stray kittens running around the place unmanaged. I can only wish, hope and look from afar.
At the moment I wrote this blog, I wondered if I should name her..
Seeing alot of "Salems" in the apartment area makes me sad.. I just heard a young kitten mews downstairs, a replica of my screaming banshee and I wondered, how fast can a cat get pregnant.. and wondered..

Am I doing enough just to give them food? I could only give a loud sigh and stare out the window at the stray running around in the children's playground. I could only wish I can do more...

No comments:

Post a Comment


PitaPata Cat tickers

Memorial

Memorial

Sherbet's Cute Mew

Click Play to listen!
PitaPata Cat tickers