PitaPata Cat tickers

Friday, April 10, 2009

Kitty Journal 8 - Rescuing the Smoky Stray

After seeing the kitten, I can't help but feel sorry for it. I wanted to do something but financially, I am not very ample. I posted the picture, some brief description and my worry about the kitten. I would take it if I could.. but I have 2 kittens, male.. another kitten, female..would mean my finance is stretched really thin. I asked friends in Petfinders, what would they do? In other words, I wondered if I should do something about the kitten.. Most probably I needed a nudge..
A few forumers replied, expressing worry and pity over the kitten. Some even offered to sponsor the kitten (since I was kinda tight).. for medical cost and such. I agreed to save the kitten. Was it because of the enthusiasm of the forumers? Definitely. Was it because I have some degree of compassion? Probably.. Was it because some people, stranger I never met would give me a hand with a stray nobody looked twice at? Most definitely. These people's love and helpfulness touched me. Some of them have a lot of cats and still are saving strays. Granted I am not as rich as I want to be (mostly because I don't even have a job..) but saving a kitten, a life should be important.

I decided to pick up the kitten as suggested by forumers. I was going to agree to have them give me some money for saving this kitten but I feel guilty. What if, after these friends I met through a forum gives me sponsorship for this poor kitten but I decided to keep it? Doesn't that make me a cheater? How will I pay them back? Can I pay them back? Will they trust me? and Do I trust them? All these questions circled my head. I asked my sister, who had agreed to help me finance my kittens to pay for her share. She had skipped payment for two months abd I have to push her to pay. She was the one that gave me a nudge to adopt kittens, but balked when told to pay. She promised, and she has to keep it. I am no push over. I knew she would never want the responsibility.. only wants to have fun and play with them. Well.. she has to play her part .. *grin*. I decided to decline the finance helped offered by forumers, I want to try and help her myself. I promised them, if I were too broke, I'll let them know. Sad to know I still have allowance, and from this allowance, I split my money for bills, groceries, kitten food and such. I know I'm really stretching my money thin this week, but I have to do something. I will have headache later when I have to pay my bills.. but I will worry when the time comes.
On wednesday night, at 11pm, I wore latex glove and searched for the kitten. It was sitting in front of a neighbour's door. I picked her up and quickly put her in the bathroom. I bathe her thoroughly with anti flea and mite shampoo, she didn't struggle much, just mews softly. Compared to Salem's loud screaming, hers was so soft, it's music to my ears. I scrubbed her clean and combed her fur to push out all the mites. I tried to rub her with a towel, but she struggled, so I just left her in the bathroom. I create a small compartment for her using a turned laundry basket, with makeshift shredded newspaper litterbox, food bowl and drinking water. I grabbed her in the bathroom and put her under the laundry basket. She mews for awhile..but stay quiet once under the laundry basket. I had kept both my boys in their room prior to picking her up. I cover the basket with cloth and let her rest in there for the night.
Thursday morning, I woke up early and waited for bf to come pick us up. We went to the government vet, 10minutes ride from my place. To my suprised, she hardly make any noise.. only a few mews and she was quiet all the way. It was mind-boggling, I had two screaming boys and this girl doesn't even make a squeak. She is well behaved in my opinion. At 8.30am, the vet has had a few people lining up for consultation. Thank god I came early, I told my bf. Vet has yet to open, but we're already no.4 that morning. Luckily the waiting was short because two people before us had appointment for neutering. We went in and showed the doctor. I was worried this ktiten had mange, a kind of burrowing mite. But doc looked and said it's ringworm. The side of her belly was infected too and was injected with some kind of steroid. She was angry, doc said the meds has burning sensation, it's bound to make the poor kitten angry. After a frontline smear, she's all done. Doctor told bf and I to put medicated cream on the infected area twice a day, and come back next week for vaccine, again in three weeks for the ringworm follow up check. I was slightly relieved there was nothing else dangerous. We went back happily and I started surfing for information on ringworm.
It was terrifying, this disease is highly contagious. I have two kittens at home and I worry, but I can't totally isolate her, it's too cruel. So, I decide to put her, still under the laundry basket and changed her bedding everyday. I make sure I wear gloves when handling her and wash my hands and feet after handling her. I'll try to be as careful as I can. We put the cream after we came back home and she slept, lie down quietly in her little spot. But I've noticed the scratching has reduce tremendously. The night before she was scratching all the time, but after the first medication, she has improved alot.
At night time, bf and I put the cream on her again and I was flabbergasted to see most of her face was infected with ringworm. It breaks my heart to see such beautiful, small creature hurt so badly. As heart-breaking as it is, I think the little kitten has it hard. She is confined in a strange house, she is being rub with some kind of icky stuff, and she has humans near her, but nobody pets her. I hope I can do more for her. I really hope so. As the night grow long and quiet, I glance at her in her small space and pray with all my heart, she will be better and healthier. I will ask friends in Petfinders if they have some alternatives, additional advice to help this kitten. I also feel I have to check her thorougly and see how bad her ringworm is. She doesn't trust us, but I hope she knows we're trying to help her. I will not say how she will end.. or where will she be in future.. for now.. I'll just say she's mine. The well mannered lady from the block. I will help you, as much as I can..
Oh yes, did I tell you? Bf and I named her Neko-Chan. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment


PitaPata Cat tickers

Memorial

Memorial

Sherbet's Cute Mew

Click Play to listen!
PitaPata Cat tickers