PitaPata Cat tickers

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Kitty Journal 9 - Neuter Part I

Saturday, April 11th

5.30am
: I woke up early this morning, somewhat anxious for my 1st neutering experience. I've kept Sherbet in a cage without food or water the night before and imagining, how the process goes.


6.45am: I was ready to go and meet June, a forumer from Petfinder who is willing to give me a ride to the neuter clinic.

7.00am: Bf picked me up in front of my block and send us to the gas station not far from June's place. I covered the carrier with a T-shirt so that Sherbet won't be too frightened of the noise and sound while on motorbike.

7.15am: Arrived at the said petrol station and waited for a few minutes. A silver kancil, driven by a petite lady honked at us. Aha! It's June.. I recognize her from pictures I saw in Petfinder forums. I shake hands with her and off we went to the neuter clinic. We chat along the way, telling stories about cats. It shows how much she love cats and rescues them. I admire her dedication. Such effort is not cheap, or easy. It is time consuming and cost quite alot too.

8.00am: We arrived at the neuter clinic. Some workers are loitering around, waiting for their duties and the guard told us the clinic won't be open till 9am, we just nodded. Luckily, June bought some newspapers and we read abit while chatting about cats, experience with cats and such. I love meeting a person who has so much knowledge and experience. A good opportunity to learn. She told stories of a Persian, ran off frightened into a bushes nearby because the owner came without carrier of leash. A few barks from the dogs in the dog pound and the poor thing ran into the bushes. Said to take quite sometime to find it, owner got scolded by the doctor there (I was like.. it's so obvious.. stated in the rules and regulation to bring carrier / leash pets..*rolls eye*) I guess some owner didn't read much *laugh*.

8.30am: The staff there gave us Green colored form to fill in our particular and pet's. It's a neuter form, so I filled it and waited.

9.00am: Dr Krishnan came. We greet him and followed him into the office. By now, around 4, 5 people have arrived, carrying their pets for neutering. I love seeing other cats.. so beautiful. We went into the office, get our numbers and tag and leave the our cat in their respective carrier. We walked to a nearby stall to chat and have breakfast while waiting for the neuter process.

10.15am: We went back to the clinic to check on our pet but they haven't come out from the operating room yet. June told me, the vets there usually prefers to neuter male first than spay females because the procedure is much more easier. They just need a small incision, pull out the testicles, sew and cut it. We waited outside and chat.

10.30am: Many cats have been brought out of the operating room including my Sherbet. He looks weak and groggy, but he managed to lift his head and looked around. I heard from the assistant there, they will only let the pet leave operating room after they can lift their head up. My Sherbet looked weak and disoriented, poor kitten. But I know he will feel better soon. June's female stray cat hasn't come out yet. It's probably because there's a lot of male cats today, they do the neutering on male cats first. A man came with 2 cats was denied a neutering on 1 of his cats because it has an eye infection. The assistant explained to him the cat has some watery discharge from it's eye and advice the owner to get the cat to a vet for treatment before neutering. I just listened abit, paid the bill and waited outside.

10.45am: A couple came in with 2 huge carriers, each holding 3 cats. All the cats looked like adult. At a glance, they looked beautiful. I especially love the black one, and another brown colored pointed cat. As I peer into the carriers, I can smell pungent urine coming from the inside of the carriers. Hmm, I thought..that's odd. My Sherbet is a really scaredy cat but he never peed when he's scared. Closer inspection shows the cat's coat was rather dull. June asked the owner if the cats are stray, the guy told us it's theirs and they're giving it away. We went outside the office, sat there and discuss. The cats looks like it's not properly cared for.. they smell and the coat is dull. From the way the owner looks, they are not from a low income family. The car looks expensive, the carriers look sturdy and expensive. Can't help but wonder why they are giving away their cats.. but I dare not ask. Each to each own I guess...

11.15am: June's cat came out of the operation room, looking groggy and weak. She paid her bill and we went out the clinic. It was smoldering hot but we have to rush back. June has to rush for her work and I hate to impose on her. I told her to drop me off where she picked me up before and I'll tell my bf to pick me up there.

11.45am: We arrived at the petrol station and lucky enough, my bf arrived a minute later. I shake June's hand, give my thanks and went back to my place. Sherbet inside the carrier, covered with a T-shirt. I am totally indebted to June for the ride. I would have trouble getting my kitten to the neuter clinic but she has helped me tremendously. From the bottom of my heart, thanks alot June. I can't give you anything much than a thank you for now :-S

12.00am: I arrived at home with Sherbet safely. Put him in the cage and monitor him. Poor thing peed and wet himself. I read up cat after neutering will have trouble controlling their bladder and I understands. I am just glad Sherbet successfully went through the surgery. I am so relieved. The first experience was always the most frightening (for me anyway)..but I'm lucky to go with a fellow cat lover who is more experienced. I will be more ready for my next kitten neuter :)

The first few hour was gruelling for me.. I worry seeing Sherbet try to move around.. sometimes holding his head up.. sometimes falling asleep. I tried giving him kibbles and water..but he kept tilting the plate. I cleaned up the mess and asked fellow forumers about post-neuter care. Luckily BB pointed out it's better to give wet food for easier poo. I take out the kibbles, dump it in Salem's bowl and take out the wet food. It was lucky I kept extra wet food since Petsmore have some wet food promotion. I split a can of wet food for 3 kittens with me. Both Salem and Neko-chan ate fast and finished within minutes. Sherbet took hours to finish his share. Poor boy. I gave him encouragement and called his name. His cage smells of urine but I wasn't sure what to do.
I text June and ask her opinion on wiping Sherbet with wet towel, she gave the green light. Wiping is okay but keep it minimum. I carried Sherbet and locked him in the carrier, mopped the floor of the cage, wipe it dry and then takes Sherbet out, wiped his body with a towel dipped in warm water. I cleaned half his body which was covered with his own urine earlier. He didn't mew, so I'm guessing a wipe is okay for him. I cleaned him up and then put him in the cage again. He can already poo, which means he is getting better.
A few hours later, Sherbet can already sit comfortably and eat with more appetite. I am happy to see the development. I hope he will get stronger and better. He meow slowly when I called his name.. Such an affectionate boy...

On another note, Neko-chan is getting so much better. Her face is less "coarse" and the big crusty ringworm patch on her right abdomen is gone. It's smooth and fur less at the moment but I'm sure the fur there will grow back soon. I am really happy with the development and that she's getting better. I will monitor her more and give update on her soon.

Salem the screaming banshee..? He's happy and active as usual.. nothing bothers him..except if he's locked up somewhere or left behind somewhere (e.g : when I go to the bathroom and locked the door.. ). He mews loudly when Sherbet and I was at the clinic (my bf said).. I'm guessing he was worried about his big bro. As loving as this may sound.. he will still try to steal his brother's food if he can. Such a bad boy Salem... *laugh*

2 comments:

  1. Hey hey hey! Sherbet is a big boy now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks lupie. Hope he will grow even fluffier, chubbier and healthier :)

    ReplyDelete


PitaPata Cat tickers

Memorial

Memorial

Sherbet's Cute Mew

Click Play to listen!
PitaPata Cat tickers