PitaPata Cat tickers

Monday, July 6, 2009

Kitty Journal 16 - Salem, Food Allergy perhaps? & Litterbox Management

Salem, Food Allergy perhaps?

I asked opinion from friends in Petfinder and some suggested that Salem's problem was due to food allergy. It made me think, perhaps that is correct. From what I read, food allergy is hard to diagnosed. Only way to find out is to do a food test and see how he reacts. I was thinking flea was the problem but the other 2 cats didn't show any flea allergy reaction (or even signs of flea attacks). I don't see them scratching much.. and they looked fine. Only Salem shows signs of allergy reaction (itching, excessive grooming, bald patches).

I suspected the Kitzyme supplement I bought for my cats. Though the other 2 is fine with it, I guess the ingredient doesn't sit well with Salem. So, for now I will stop giving them Kitzymehindlegs and stomach is balding badly. *Frown* supplement and just stick with the ones vet suggested. I hope Salem will get better though, his

Litterbox Management (and Odor Control)

I have come to love litterbox deodorizer! I admit at start I was rather skeptic but after using them for a month plus, I LOVE IT! It started out as ways to reduce the odor from my cats' litterbox. As an owner of 3 cats, I assure you the smell of cat faeces doesn't faze me at all. I guess, with time, you get used to the smell. In my opinion, if you have cats and you're not used to the smell, you have a problem. But of course, that doesn't mean cat faeces doesn't make me squeamish. *Laugh*

I started goggling about litterbox management and odor control. It was mind boggling how some people can prolonged the use of 5litres of cat sand for more than a week (some even can extend to 1 month). I seemed to run through 5 litres of cat sand for a week, sometimes only for 5 days. Usually the sand starts to smell on the third day.
-I wondered if my scooping technique was wrong.
-Maybe too much force made the clumping balls break?
-Maybe not enough force and left behind residue?
-Maybe my cats is a sewage machine? *giggles*
-Maybe even my scoop or my cat sand is not good enough?

I wrecked my brains trying to figure out how to manage their litterbox. Granted I am kinda lazy and only cleans the litterboxes once a day and am kinda tight on budget but I want to know how other people managed it and I couldn't. Cats will be cats in my opinion, regardless of breed and the amount they poo or pee should be the same. So I goggled and read, voila! found the perfect solution.


The website suggested the usage of litterbox deodorizer and an extra way to clean the litterbox after each the routine scooping. I was rather sceptical at start, can it really reduce the smell? Prolonged the usage of the sand?? I've tried shredded newspaper but the smell was too strong I can't handle it. I even tried recycled paper litter but the ammonia smell was really strong after the 5
th day and it was somewhat expensive. Wasting too much money on litter material is too much, don't you think? (Especially since I'm rather tight on budget .. *cry*).

The website suggested to spread a thin layer of litterbox deodorizer on the bottom of the litterbox after you cleaned the litterbox, before putting in new litter sand. (The routine once a week litterbox clean-up). Then put a centimetre or two of litter sand over the thin layer of litterbox deodorizer. Then put another thin layer of litterbox deodorizer, followed by another thin layer of cat sand. I find that the pee and poo clump better and sticks less to the surface of the litterbox (since one of my cat love to dig deep into the litter).


After the routine daily scooping, light up a lighter and run a fire over the surface of the litter sand (as close to the sand as you can). If I remember correctly, it is to burn out the unwanted odor. Then sprinkles a thin layer of litterbox deodorizer on the surface, followed by topping up a small layer of litter sand. I tried it for a month and I have to say it works wonders! The odor is reduced greatly and the sand can last up to 2 weeks. The cost is not as expensive since a bottle / box of litterbox deodorizer is only around RM16-RM19 (I find that the Arms & Hammer Cat Litter Deodorizer works best) and can last to a month or more.


Why I wanted to find solution to litterbox odor? It's because I want guests coming to my home (usually my family) to feel comfortable and not smell cat poo or pee. I want to tell them proudly that I have cats and are not having any foul smell problems (apart from the smell of my garbage bin *laugh*). If you are reluctant to use Litterbox Deodorizer, Soda Bicarbonate works too although it's less effective but it can reduce the odor too (prolly around 20-30% odor reduction).
Sadly, I can't remember which website it was....

Hmm enough of my ramblings.. I've written alot today.. I'll write more when I can think of something kitty-related *Smile*..

No comments:

Post a Comment


PitaPata Cat tickers

Memorial

Memorial

Sherbet's Cute Mew

Click Play to listen!
PitaPata Cat tickers