PitaPata Cat tickers

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Kitty Journal 26 - New cage at parent's & Cat Tree

I went back to my parent last weekend to borrow my dad's car for the Hari Raya holidays. Since cat boarding is quite expensive (especially when I'm going away for 11 days), I decided to bring all my cats with me this holiday.

I also brought back two projects with me, to built a cage and a cat tree for my cats. I find that buying the ready made is too expensive and not up to par. I was lucky too, since my dad has a lot of equipment to do simple carpentry. I was also lucky I took up AutoCAD back in the days. Designing is so much easier and cleaner with AutoCAD. It took 2 days to gather materials (although some stuff was bought by my parent before I came back to their home.

I have to say it's much more easier to find materials in my hometown rather than where I'm living now. It's so hard to find a fully stocked hardware store in KL. I showed my dad the design for the cage and cat tree and he'd comment the problem with the design, whether it's structurally stable or not, how much brackets needed, etc. Dad did most of the heavy duty drilling and screwing the wood. A whole day of labor, the cage is ready. We had to buy some more materials (the wire mesh) because we miscalculated. It would finished earlier but I dallied, only decided to assemble the cage after dinner.

Voila, the finished product. It's a bit crooked but hey, it's the first time I handled metal frame cages (the first cage I did used pvc pipe frame). My parent bought kitchen metal rack as the base frame of the cage but after some discussion, we realized using angle bar would be so much easier. Oh well, the important thing is that the cage is ready.

The completed cage, at the foot of my bed.












My second project was a cat tree, I never bought one before (was too expensive in my opinion) so I decided to make my own. It way easier than the cage and cheap too. It's rather bare at the moment but touch-ups can be done later.


The "bare" cat tree & Salem posing on the highest platform.











Next is my trip back to my hometown which is this Thursday. I look forward to a trip with my cats :)

No comments:

Post a Comment


PitaPata Cat tickers

Memorial

Memorial

Sherbet's Cute Mew

Click Play to listen!
PitaPata Cat tickers