PitaPata Cat tickers

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Kitty Journal 22 - Balding Spot II

I forgot to write down about Salem's balding spot problem. We decided to go to the government vet hospital for check-up, I showed them the bald spots on Salem and they gave him an injection. They didn't offer explanation, and I guess I assumed it was maybe flea allergy reaction. I guess, as a cat owner I still fails at getting explanation from the veterinarian. In a way, I usually forgot to ask. Then I toss and turn later in the night and wondered why I didn't ask in for more details.

Enough about my silliness, lets talk about Salem. After the injection, the vet told us to come back in three weeks for re-visit and evaluate the treatment. We waited patiently for 10th of August to arrive but I was getting anxious, Salem's problem has yet to go away. Some of his balding spot kept getting bigger and no improvement whatsoever.

On August 10th, we went for a follow-up. A different vet attended my Salem and he said my Salem had fungal infection. I was somewhat shocked, fungal? I asked if fungal infection is contagious and he answered yes. It's very contagious and should be quarantined. I was puzzled, if it really is fungal infection, wouldn't my two other cats will be infected too? Since they've play together for more than a month (especially after I've neutered Salem & Neko-chan). Yet I didn't see any hints of balding spot on Neko-chan or Sherbet. The vet seems sure of his diagnose so I just let it pass, but he told me to take Salem for blood test at any private vet if the problem doesn't improve in three weeks. At the counter, they gave antibiotics for Salem.

The mention of blood test got me slightly worried, and I had to find a private vet for consultations. I asked a friend, June for opinion and she told me to go for blood test earlier rather than wait three weeks. It could be deadly by then, so I decided to look around and asked others. I got lucky because June told me, another PetFinders forumer had consulted a private vet not too far from my area and the cost was very reasonable.

I went earlier this morning and met Dr. Ragu. She was friendly enough, checking Salem's body thoroughly and asking questions about flea control, and then she took scrapings of Salem's skin (on the balding spot) and looked under the microscope. Good news is that my Salem didn't have mite, tick or flea problem. He also is cleared from fungal infection problem. The doctor told me it's probably due to slow fur growth. Doctor gave Vitamin B-Complex and topical cream for Salem and come for re-visit on the 23rd. All in it was rather cheap, since it's a private clinic. I was happy to hear that my Salem didn't have dangerous disease.

Now, I have to remember to rub the cream twice a day and give Salem his vitamin once a day. Lets hope for the best ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment


PitaPata Cat tickers

Memorial

Memorial

Sherbet's Cute Mew

Click Play to listen!
PitaPata Cat tickers